Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The final countdown

The last few days have been absolutely beautiful. We are in Sarria right now and have had two shorter days today and yesterday. Three days ago, we walked to O´Comrero which was one of the hardest walks I have had. It was almost 20 miles and took forever but was worth every single step because of how beautiful everything looked. Once we got in, I pretty much collapsed from exhaustion but was just very proud of myself. My foot still hurts and every step is painful but to just put it out of my head and enjoy the day was a struggle. I kept looking up and seeing how beautiful everything was and was just so thankful to be there at that moment. I was walking with Hannah for most of the day and when we finally reached O´Combrero, we just hugged each other. The climb up there was so steep and just kept climbing up and up and up and up and up. It was such a relief to finally get there.

Yesterday we took a slow day because it was only 12 miles. One of my favorite parts of the day was stopping at this blackberry bush with about 10 other people. Everyone was just picking the berries and laughing. They were so delicious, my hands were dripping with purple juice. When we finally reached where we stayed last night, everyone else was laying out on the lawn so we joined them. The rest of the afternoon was spent just laying on the grass and talking. Dinner has gotten much more casual as the days go on and we get more tired. The resturants all offer a pilgrim´s menu that has just gotten old and a bit expensive. It is the same thing in every town so we have started just going to the market and picking up quick stuff. My personal favorite has become crackers with tuna and tomatos, fruit, yogurt and chocolate. Its a pretty good combination.

When Kirstin and I started talking about the Camino, we decided that we wanted to take every detour so we could as much as possible....that hasn´t so much happened but I think its okay. Today we could have walked an extra 3 or 4 miles to this monastary but we decided to take the short day and go the alternative route. It turned out to be just as beautiful. The way we took was through some mountains and we were in fog for most of the morning. It made everything around us look very much like England and the towns were all these small brick buildings that looked old.

My hair is getting really blond from being in the sun all day. I was worried about what would happen to the dye job while I was over here but it is turning pretty blond. Its sort of strange to see myself look so different every day. I haven´t worn makeup in a full month or done my hair. I am looking forward to going back to my normal look though...I miss my normal clothes. I think it has been really good for me though to strip all of that other stuff away, its just not something I am going to keep up with when I am done. My camino look can stay on the camino =).

I heard a rumor that rasberry bushes are supposed to be coming up so I that will be a fun treat! The bed bugs have become an issue but THANK GOD I have not had any problems!!! The albergues have started handing out disposible sheets for our beds and pillows. I sleep much better with the sheet over my bed. Before I tried my best to caccoon into my sleeping bag so no part of me was touching the bed at all.

We are only 5 days away from Santiago and will get in on Monday. I can´t believe how fast it as gone. Tomorrow is our month anniversary of walking. We laughed today about how we are enjoying the shorter days as they are coming up but the shorter days are still 12 and 13 miles. If at home I said I was walked even 5 miles on the treadmill, that would be pretty impressive. But we are walking that with 20 pounds backpacks on and calling it easy...

Today is the town that a lot of people start because we are only 100 km away from Santiago. In order to get your certificate at the end, that is the minimum you need to walk so a lot of people start here. There are a large amount of people with day packs as well and are sending their stuff forward. Its hard to just let that go and not be annoyed when there aren´t as many beds when you feel like you deserve a bed over the person who has only been walking a day, with a 4 pound bag. Everyone does their camino differently but I am also thankful that I have been able to do it in the way I have. There is something really satisfying about finishing a really hard day and just sitting down. Its simple but wonderful at the same time.

1 comment:

Betty said...

Hi Jen,

It's hard to beleive you are almost to Santiago. You have acomplished a lot, young lady. I am very proud of you. This is some thing you can be proud of for the rest of your life. Not many people can say that.

You have not mentioned Kirstin in a while. How is she doing? Also, how is your foot holding up?

OK, "Keep on trecking" you have come a long way and you are almost to the finish line.

Love you,

Grandma