Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Soaring, Flying...There´s not a star in heaven that we can´t reach

So...I made it!!!!

We all woke up at 5:30 and were out the door by 6 which was pretty impressive for a group of 11 or 12. The start of the morning was raining and very dark. We walked in almost silence for the first few hours, each of us in a line down the trail. It was hard to see where we were going but what we could see were the lights of Santiago lit up over a hill. It was sort of symbolic to be walking into the light. After we stopped for some coffee around 8:30, we all perked up a bit. The rest of the walk was only about 6 miles. I spent most of the time walking with two boys, John and Ash and singing along to Ash´s ipod. It was just silly and fun and so perfect.

When you walk into any town, there are these big white signs that say the name of the town you are about to enter into. When we got to the Santiago sign, we all just stood there and smiled for a minute and then took loads of pictures in front of the sign. We were there...it seemed sort of unreal. The cathedral was still a few miles into town so we kept on walking. I couldn´t help but walk quickly. It was so close, I was almost there. As soon as I got into the square, it was like this overwhelming sense of accomplishment. I just stood there in awe of where I was and how I got there. Kirstin was a little bit behind me and when I saw her come around the corner, we both ran to each other and had a huge hug in the square. It was raining but no one really cared. Once our entire Camino Family had arrived, we had a huge group hug. Everyone was standing in a circle with their arms around one another and then we all just started jumping up and down and cheering. It was one of those unforgettable, once in a lifetime moments that will always stay with me. A group of people Kirstin and I didn´t even know existed a month ago, and now we were all hugging and sharing such an important moment together.

We went into mass at noon which felt like such a great place to end the walk. Going up to get communion was a bit emotional for me. It was incredible to look around this giant church and maybe not know everyone´s names, but recognize so many excited faces. There was so much love and happiness in that room. We were lucky enough to see the monks swing the giant incense pendulum. They only swing it on days where someone has donated €300 so...thanks to that person, we all got to see it. It was pretty incredible. It took five monks pulling the ropes to make it swing from side to side. We were right under it too. This was a little difficult because of my asthma...I couldn´t really breath with all of the incense but once it stopped, it was back to normal =). Once the mass was coming to a close, I started to tear up. I am a bit of a crier anyways but I couldn´t help but just be so happy in that moment. There are very few times in our lives where everything just feels perfect. Standing in that church, surrounding by all of my new friends, it felt perfect.

After mass, we went and got our compestellas. We stood in this long line and they checked our pilgrim´s passports then gave us our certificates. It just felt so accomplished to get that piece of paper. It was raining pretty hard and we were all starving so in the mess of everything, we missed going in front of the webcam. It was hard to figure out where it was without knowing beforehand but Kirstin and I did take a picture using Hannah´s blackberry and sent it to our parents. If my mom can figure it out...she might be able to post it =).

Once we got into our hostel, the shopping began. We bought lots of new clothes and makeup. Kirstin and I spent so much in the make up store, the lady gave us some free makeup and bags. We both have this favorite mascara, Dior Show. We decided we were both worth it and bought it here. It seemed like a perfect luxury. I also bought some jeans, sweaters and shirts. I bought a pretty cheap pair of shoes too. I was worried to buy any good ones because my feet are so swollen, I don´t think they would fit when my feet hopefully go back to normal.

It feels really good to be a girl again. Tomorrow though, it all goes back to the Camino look.

Yesterday we spent the day walking around Santiago, shopping and spending the last few hours as a big group. At night, everyone went and got tattoos. I got a pretty big sea shell on foot....just kidding. I just watched. I am not really a tattoo person. They all look really beautiful though and it was a fun experience to be there with everyone as they got them.

This morning, we all got up and had a long breakfast in a cafe across from our hostel. As the time got shorter, everyone started to get more and more sad that some of us were leaving. After breakfast, the people who were leaving packed up and we said an emotional goodbye to each other. It was hard to see them walk away. Everyone was crying, it was hard not to. We all became such a close family that its hard to see them go. I just know though, in my heart, I will them all again. We are already planning our trip to Vegas =).

So a group of 12 is now down to a group 7. Kirstin, Hannah, Jess, Ben and I are going to start walking to Finesterre tomorrow. We were going to go today, but it felt so rushed and we wouldn´t have been able to say a proper goodbye to everyone. The luxury of having a flexible schedule is the ability to spend an extra day with these friends. It was so hard seeing the others go this morning, it is nice ot be able to do the goodbyes in stages.

I am really looking forward to walking tomorrow. I think it will be a very different experience. The faces will not be as familiar and it will only be the five of us. Kirstin and I started out not sure who we would meet and we have both gained such a loving, wonderful group of friends from all over the world. It will feel different to not see them all as we head out in the morning tomorrow. We always started the mornings together leaving the albergues so it will feel strange.

Thank you all for your comments throughout my walk. I loved reading them and hearing from everyone. I´m sorry the webcam didnt really work but hopefully my mom can get the picture up.

3 more days of walking....

3 comments:

Betty said...

Hey Jenny;

You did it, what a great adventure you girls have had. So many stories to tell and a life time full of great memories, and to say nothing of some wonderful new friends.

I loved the picture your mom sent, you both look so happy. Now on to the next leg of you'r journey.

Love, Grandma

Bonnie said...

Way to quote High School Musical in your final entry! Good news- HSM 3: Senior Year will be out right after you get back!

I am so happy for you!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

soarin flyin, best song evaar! Buen camino, you are a bona fide ass whooper, I'm so proud of you!