Saturday, September 13, 2008

and...we have found internet again!!!!

So I have lots and lots to catch up on. We have been without internet for about four days now I think. But I took notes about what I wanted to write about so this may be a long post!

OK....day 7 Los Arcos to Longrono

I thought I might fall over from exhaustion after that day. It was so hot!! I was sunburned in some very odd places, like my hands, my left forearm and my left side of my neck. It was honestly one of the most exhausting days of my entire life. As we walked up to this nice, peaceful looking albergue with a beautiful fountain and garden....there was the WORST SIGN I HAVE EVER SEEN. It said ¨Completo-Full¨. After 17 miles, all i wanted to do was sit. But on we had to walk...

As we were walking, we were saying to each other, if we send out positive thoughts, the next place will be good. We were doing our very best to send out positive energy. Well it worked!! We ended up staying in a donation only albergue that was in a church. We slept on mats on the floor which didn´t so much matter because we were both so tired. But the most wonderful part was they cooked us dinner and breakfast! The dinner was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. These priests made us the dinner and all 100 or so people sat at long tables and had dinner together. THe entire atmosphere and energy was just so amazing. I can not say enough about what an unforgetable experience it was. We ate salad and pasta and had fruit and yogurt for dessert. Not everyone spoke the same language and it was ok. Everyone just laughed and had a wonderful time. I hope I never forget that night.

Before dinner, I went to mass. The night before had been a very rainy night so I didn´t have any dry clean clothes to change into after my shower except my pajamas. My pajamas are long black leggings-long underwear pants and my shirt is a blue pull over thin shirt. So... I went to mass in my pajamas. I felt sort of silly but the mass was a really beautiful service. Then, at the end, they made all of the pilgrims go to the front for a special blessing. There I was, in the front of the giant church in my pajamas.


Day 8 Logrono to Ventosa

Because of our killer day the day before, we just decided to walk 20KM which I think is about 12 or 13 miles. We started out and the walk went pretty quickly for me. Kirstin was having some blister and leg issues so I got to Ventosa before she did. The albergue wasn´t open yet so I just sat and waited.

As I was sitting there, my stomach started rumbling and I was thinking I needed some lunch. So I asked in some very broken spanish where the market was to a guy sitting next to me. He said he couldn´t find it but would ask the local lady that was walking by. The lady told him there was no market, only 120 people lived in the town but that she sells bread. Just as the bread woman went into her house, the most adorable man walked by pushing a wheelbarrow full of vegitables. He was everything you would hope he would be. He was old, wearing overalls and no shoes. He started talking to me in Spanish and I did my usual smile and nod. He was very funny and had very little teeth.

After we were all checked into the albergue, I went to see the bread lady. She wasn´t downstairs so I knocked on the wall and sort of yelled ´Pan´ (bread in Spanish). She came down and I bought the bread. After, she tried to ask me some quetions but I didn´t understand her so I just kept saying ´No se´(I don´t know). Then, she grabbed my head and kissed my check and sort of pushed me out the door. It was very touching and very odd.

We went out to dinner to the one restaurant in town with a bunch of other pilgrims. The big dinners are so much fun. We are some of the few Americans so its really interesting to talk to everyone else from Australia, Peru, Canada, ect....

Day 9 Ventosa to Najera (OVER 18 MILE WALK!!)

OMG that day was so so so long. It was probably the most miserable day I have had. The entire day was windy and cold. I was sort of just really unhappy all day. The most notable part of the day though was in the morning.

I left the albergue abuot 6:15 a little bit before Kirstin. I got to use my cool pink head lamp because it was pitch black outside. I went along and as I was walking, another girl from Canada (her name is France interestingly enough). She touched my arm to stop me as we were walking and we both turned out our lights and looked up. The stars were so beautiful. The entire sky lit up and it was incredible. Some of my books I have read about the camino say that the ancient pilgrims used to use the stars and that they pointed them to Sanitago. It did seem to look that way. The stars aligned and just pointed in the way we were walking.

Because of the dark sky, we sort of didn´t make it on to the trail. We walked along the highway for about an hour and a half. I was pretty sure everyone was really lost (there were about 4 other people walking at the time). After about an hour, I looked back at France and said, I think we are lost. She just smiled and touched my arm and said ¨You are never lost when you are on a road, it will take you somewhere¨. It was such a smart and profound thing to say. I wanted to hug her at that moment.

The day only went downhill from there. It was really cold and just a horrible horrible day. I stayed inside and layed on my bed for most of the rest of the day.

My time is almost up so I will write about today a little bit later tonight when I have more change to put in the computer.

6 comments:

pmphaigh said...

hi Jen,

you appear to be holding up well in spite of the long days. i will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. keep writing.

-paul

Jane said...

Sounds like a tough day yesterday. You didn't say you were cold though...so I am hoping the fleece jacket was just what you needed. I looked up pictures of the wine fountain. it has been fun to follow your travels - Dad bought the pilgrims guide book so we can travel with you day by day.

All our love, Mom and Dad

Betty said...

Hi Jenny,

Glad to see you back on line again, I was getting worried, but then thats one of the rules for Grandmas, it's in the Grandma mannual (very fine print). I love you'r blogs, they are so informative and I almost feel like I'm there with you (gimping along).

Sounds like you had some pretty tough days. Hopefully they are behind you & it will be clear sailing from now on.

Hugs & kisses,
Grandma

Unknown said...

I'm thinking lots of happy thoughts for you!!

Alisha said...

WOW! You sure have had a few adventures the last few days huh?? I am assuming since I am writing a few days after you posted last you have not run into another internet connection :( I am sooo looking forward to traveling the rest of your trip with you! Tomorow I am headed to the Bemidji Library after my Dr.'s appointment to find a book that highlights the route you are taking! I have written down names of towns and everything! I am so excited to see some pics of where you have been and where you are going!

Put the last rainy and cold days behind you and enjoy the rest! Even in the rain there is always beauty to be found! In the sound of it hitting the path, the wind throuh the branches, ect. But agian..I am not there so for me I can only imagine the hardships and joys you have experienced this far!

The Church sounds stunningly beautiful! What a neat memory to have to tell friends and family! I love reading your blog and look forward to more posts from you!...Ross is thinking we should do that someday...I don't think we could do it! I am so in awe of you Jenny! You are such an amazing woman to take these adventures when you can and have such a free and accepting spirit to enjoy even after a long day! You are amazing!

AriZona said...

You are such a wonderful writer. I know where you are by your descriptions. Hang in there...the toughest times will always be memorable, they are your stories.

I'm glad your parents bought the guide so they can visualize your whereabouts.

It's tough for those at home when they don't hear from you. Friends and family...if you don't hear from Jennifer or Kirstin know they are okay, communication is sometimes unavailable, depending where they are staying.

It's hard when you are cold and the elements are getting to you...hang in there...you can do this.

Everyday is a good day no matter what happens.

Ultreya: go forward with courage

and that my dear friends is what you are doing!

Living Passionately,
AriZona