Sunday, September 7, 2008

We walked uphill 10k today

Today wasn´t as bad as other days. I think my body is getting used to walking so much. It is getting pretty crazy to think about how far we have walked and it is only the 4th day. Kirstin and I were more prepared today and bought muffins and fruit for breakfast. We had a bag of tiny muffins and so we stopped every hour or so for some muffins. We got a few comments about our muffin eating....

Yesterday we did a lot of walking through cities which felt so strange. I liked today because we were more out in the country and it was much quieter. We saw fields and fields of dead sunflowers....I´m sure those are really pretty when they are alive. Dead, not so much.

A part of me feels so fortunate to be walking and to have this trip sort of fall in my lap. I have met a lot of people who have talked about wanting to walk for 10 or more years. It is sort of amazing to think about wanting to do something that long. Ten years ago, I was 12 and my biggest desire was to have my mom let me go to the mall with friends.

There are some serious injuries going on. This Korean guy fell down this little hill and has this giant bruise on his face and a bunch of stitches. Another guy broke his ankle and so he is out. This really sweet older lady from the UK I think fell today and she has a black eye. It makes me feel a little soft for having sore feet. My shins and calf muscles are starting to ache a bit. They haven´t seen this much action since I quit playing lacrosse.

The albergue we are staying in tonight is pretty nice. It has smaller rooms which could be better. I think our room smells a little bit, someone clearly did not take a post walk shower. I am getting pretty good at hand washing my clothes, this is a pretty new thing for me. But it doesn´t take too long and there is something oddly nice about it. I don´t think I will take up the practice when I come home, but for now, its doing just fine.

The Australian girl laughed at my Tevas again today.... but then we bonded over trashy American TV. I do love my trashy TV so I had a lot to contribute to the conversation.

I do believe that is all I have to report today. Not tomorrow but the next day we walk past a fountain that doesn´t have water but red wine flowing in it. I feel that will be a good day =).

Love
Jenny

6 comments:

Betty said...

It sounds like you and Kirstin are having a great time full of new adventures, like hand washing your clothes. I'm shocked that Kirstin refused to let you chase her around like a bull. Don't fall into the wine fountain. Love you

ASUNeal said...

You're worried about the germs from a gym mat, but you're going to drink from a communal wine fountain?

I like your thinking!

Bonnie said...

The alcohol kills the germs Neal! :)

Jennifer said...

I'm all caught up, Jenny! I am looking forward to next 28 days of walking stories!!!

Alisha said...

I dreamed about walking through Spain last night! lol Although I highly doubt it was anything like what you are experiencing! My feet didn't even hurt! lol

Enjoy the wine fountain it should be neat! To have a public wime fountian..I wonder if that would go over here either!

Christine said...

Am heartbroken that my sunflower fields are dead. Seriously. Heartbroken.

When we passed the ones near Pamplona in mid-July, they weren't open yet. So strange to think they've opened, lived, and died between my walk and yours....