Friday, September 19, 2008

Day 16 and I turned 23 today...how did that happen??

Yesterday was a pretty normal day, 15 miles of walking and then the afternoon was spent relaxing. I am really enjoying taking naps in the afternoon. Last night Kirstin and I were in a room full of very old men who 1. Snored really really loud and 2. Turned the lights out at 9 pm and on again at 6 am.

I have a few injuries to report however. I have some very lovely scratches on my right leg, on my calf. Above that, is the winner. It is this really awful rash that is on its way to getting better. It sort of runs from the inside of my calf upto part of my thigh. Its just all around really attractive. Kirstin and I took a shortcut through a field...turns out that was the wrong choice for me. I also am a bit sore in my right foot but that isn´t anything advil can´t take care of. I have a blister on each foot but i think they might be getting better (cross your fingers!!). I think I am still doing much better than some other people along the way so thats good news!

Today is of course going wonderful!! Everyone has been wishing me happy birthday. Kirstin is doing an excellent job at telling everyone it is my birthday and singing to me when things get a little quiet. Walking today was a bit cold and windy. The straps of my backpack kept swinging up and hitting me in the face because of the wind.

It is really true what they say about the camino giving you energy as you walk. Somedays I am so in awe that I have walked as far as I have. Today was exactly half way to Santiago. It feels fitting for me to have it be our half way point. The last two years have not been that great of birthdays for me just because of outside circumstances but today has just been an absolutely wonderful day. It makes me just feel deep inside that my entire year will be wonderful. Currently, all of my new friends are in the kitchen making a big dinner to celebrate my birthday. It just feels my heart with so much love that people i have only known a few weeks are working so hard to make sure i have a good day.

Today was Kirstin and I´s turn to make our group dinner which was going to be Mexican food. Since it is my birthday, I get to be here online, drinking wine, while everyone else is in the kitchen making fajitas.

I am really looking forward to the next 16 or so days we all have together. It feels like such a close knit family. I am still in awe of how wonderful this experience has been for me. Everyday seems to just get better and better (and really, after that first day, it could only go up!).

Well I am off to enjoy the rest of the day.

I love and miss you all!

5 comments:

pmphaigh said...

Hi Jen,

Happy Birthday!

I am a September baby as well.

-paul

Bonnie said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!! 23 is going to be a good year for you, I can tell.

pmphaigh said...

Hi Jen,

FYI:

I have posted some of my pictures on the web if anyone is interested:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pmphaigh

I have created the slide show for my daughter the Frog lover.

At this point I am extremely thrilled at hearing about the adventures you and the others are experiencing. I must admit I am suffering from a touch of camino envy.

I wish you and the others safe travels. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.


Later,

-paul

mp said...

Jenny,
Happy Birthday from Uncle Keith and me.

Teresa S said...

Jenny,

Happy 23rd Birthday! How wonderful that you are having so much fun and time to reflect while walking.

When I met Christy in Spain in May of 2003, I asked her what the most significant thing was that she learned from her experience in Valencia, Spain. Her answer was that she learned that she creates her own happiness! As a mother I was happy to hear her response and envious that I hadn't had the opportunity to learn that at the age of 21.

I hope your B. Day was fun and that you will take some of the lessons you learn on this journey with you for the rest of your life!

Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing your adventure with us.

Teresa