Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It was bound to happen sometime

Well, today it rained. We are currently in Los Arrcos and walked about 6 hours today.

But to start with the day, we went to the wine fountain. 7:30am and we just had a few sips of wine. And it wasn´t so much a fountain but more of a faucet that had red wine coming out. It was a cute little thing. There was a web cam there so if I had known, i could have told you all so you could have seen me while I was there!

So on we went...and then we got wet. As we were walking through this vineyard , trugging through this really slippery red mud I was pretty much laughing to myself the whole time. The last vacation Kirstin and I took together was to Las Vegas where we wore dresses and high heels the entire weekend and stayed in the Mirage. And then today, we were in rural Spain, drenched and muddy with backpacks smaller than the luggage we brought to Vegas.

The sun started to come out though and the rest of the day was really really hot. The last mile or so were so hard. It always seems to take longer than the rest of the day. The road also to the town always seems to be the least direct way to get there. Its like you can see the town in front of you but the road goes all the way around the town before you get to go inside. I´m thinking this is my first little life lesson via the Camino. There is something you really want or a place you really want to be but you need to be patient and get there when you are ready. Even if it is painful and hard to get there, it will always be worth it once you get there.

Another pretty cool outcome of the Camino is something that is similar to doing yoga. One of the things yoga is really good for is that it allows you to get to know your body and what it is capable of. The yoga I do at home is called Bikram Yoga and the class is an hour and half long. Walking all day, everyday, I´m really getting to know how my body reacts to things and how it is handling this experience. I have never had so much time to think in my life. It is pretty big gift to have no other distraction but to just think and walk for 6 or so hours a day.

I think that is all for today. It is my bed time, its almost 10. Tomorrow is a long day, 17 miles I think. Send me lots of good energy, I will need it!!

5 comments:

Jane said...

Okay, I could not be more proud of you girls. You are making your wldest dreams come true. Yes, it is miles a day, serious impact to your body, by life changing none the less. I love the blogs, love the comments, and am so love you!

Mom

Teresa S said...

Wishing you lots of good energy for the 17 mile walk. Wow, that is a long way for one day. I bet you will really appreciate your rest and shelter at the end of the day and a warm shower.

How wonderful that you have the opportunity to get to know your body and have so much time to reflect. By the end of the trip I bet your view of what is important will be very different.

I'm enjoying your journey through your blog. I can envision your journey through Spain and the incredible country and people.

Teresa Schmitz

pmphaigh said...

hi jen, found your blog and kirstin's. i just got back to Vermont. i wish you'all well. i will keep my eye on your blogs.

bien camino

-paul

p.s. me feet are still killing me..

mp said...

Grandpa Beltz used to say, "Don't worry about the bugs, they don't eat much."

Uncle Keith tells me, "A little pain never hurt anyone."

As for the presidential race, it pains me to think that if the Republicans win, this pistol toting hockey mom will have a say in picking Supreme Court justices. The quality of my life for the rest of my life depends on the justices who are appointed in the next 4 - 8 years.

In the mean time I will send white light your way to heal whatever ails you.

Love you, Mary

Alisha said...

I seriously am disapointed this year in the nominee's for President! Neither one of them seems to have a grasp of what the nation needs either way, and the things they do grasp...it will be hard to implement them! I think you should enjoy your time away from all the debates! lol They are getting rough. I do know from a friend who spent time at the republican convention in the Twin Cities that it didn't go over well here in MN.

I will send what energy and Prayers I can that you don't et hurt, and have a HOT shower at the end of the day tomorow! Or a hot tub would be better! You are doing something so good reflecting on your body and the things it does Jenny. It is truley a marvel isn't it, the things we don't notice our body doing until wehave nothing BUT time to notice it?